Mold: literally, a growing concern. National media attention has alerted the public to the destructive and possibly toxic dangers of hidden mold spores that could affect their family's health and their homes. EPA studies indicate that air levels of indoor pollutants may be two to three times higher than outdoor levels. Mold, the most dangerous offender of all, often goes undetected because of its invisibility. Most people spend as much as 90% of their time indoors and are not aware of the health hazards created by this pollutant. You owe it to yourself to minimize your exposure to mold spores in the indoor environment, test for mold today!
How can someone be exposed to MOLD?
There are several ways you can become exposed to mold;
• Breathing in the spores from the air.
• Skin contact from handling an item that has mold growing on it.
• Eating witIlout properly washing your hands after handling moldy objects.
Can MOLD cause health problems? I
Mold has the potential to cause health problems and even make a home uninhabitable. However, everyone is affected differently when in contact with mold. The mold that may not bother the seller may severely affect the buyer. Some mold can produce allergens, irritants and, in some cases, potentially toxic chemical substances known as mycotoxins. People who are sensitive and exposed to mycotoxins can become ill. Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. People diagnosed with allergies and asthma may be very sensitive to mold. Mold can cause asthma attacks. Others at risk may include: infants, children, the elderly, immune compromised patients, pregnant women and individuals with existing respiratory conditions.
With exposure, even in small amounts, mold may cause:
• Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat or skin
• Mysterious skin rashes
• Sinus infections or congestion / sinusitis (runny nose)
• Respiratory problems (sneezing and coughing)
• Upper or lower respiratory infections
• Frequent headaches
• Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion
• Mood swings, anxiety, depression
• Chronic aches and pains
• Digestive problems